Tuesday 3 December 2013

Media Theorys

Hypodermic model- Daily Mail- Video Games
This article argues that Video games are a bad thing for teenagers. The theory says that people who play these games for longer than 30 minutes would be aggressive for the next 3 days. This article is appropriate for The Daily Mails audience who don’t like new things and are very right- wing. However, this article uses a somewhat flawed theory which doesn’t answer the key questions. For instance, it didn’t take people pre-existing emotional concerns in to consideration. The article even states that playing video games have a long-term affect. However, this doesn’t take peoples pre-existing problems in to consideration.
This article relates to the hyper-dermic theory because the Daily mail is feeding people an idea that the hyper-dermic model would argue that the audience is helpless to resist. Therefore, they would automatically think that this is true and video games are harmful
Two- step- flow- Jamal Edwards
Jamal Edwards could be an example of and the two- step model as he is opinion generator. He is a young boy from the estate come millionaire. He could be an example of somebody who could represent the many people on estates. Jamal Edwards is a trend setter aswell because many people want to be like him.
This article Relates to the two step flow model as Jamal Edwards rise to fame is something people want to aspire to. The Rap Culture is about getting rich quick or getting fame Quick. Jamal Edwards has done both, therefore people would want to aspire to be like him and would consequently respect his opinion.
Dependency Theory
What Do I primarily use the Media for?
I Think I mostly use the media for information about what is going on in the world. To keep myself up-to date about my interests and release dates. I use it to inform myself about sports and my other interests. I would also say I use it for Entertainment in the breaks from school however, I think I use it for information more as I find it more useful.
To What Extent to you think people Dependant to the Media?
Personally, I think that I’m not dependant to the media. I use it when I want to use It and if I don’t use it I could find out things in another way. Generally, I think that many people are dependant and an example of this could be social media. For instance, people that frequently post tweets are dependant to twitter. I think technology is to blame for people’s new found addiction.
Has the dependence changed during last 10 years?
I think it has for the worst. As technology advances it enables people to use their mobile phones and tablets to access media. In addition, 10 years ago 3g was in its early stages and wasn’t available to people. Now 3G is widely available therefore it makes it easier for people to access media.

Users and Gratifications

This theory suggests that people use media to fulfil their own needs and ambitions and that it caters for people 4 basic needs: Diversion, Personal relationships, Personal identity and Surveillance. Diversion caters for people who need an escape from their lives. Personal Identity is for people who use the media to gain knowledge about them .Personal Relationships is for enables people to interact with other humans. Surveillance is for people who use the media to find out about their surroundings and what’s’ going on.

Surveillance
BBC news could be an example for people who want to find out about their surroundings. It offers them a chance to feel up-to-date with the UK and their Local area.
 

Diversion 
People would use magazines like heat as a diversion to their own lives. They would enjoy reading about other peoples lives as it would distract them from their lives.

Personal Relationships:
Skype would be an example of something that enables people to interact with others. They could speak to anybody over this platform therefore developing their relationships.
Personal Identity: 
A show like Waterloo road would enable people to represent what they feel their like, show their struggles to everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment